Community radio production
Supporting local radio worldwide
Having seen the success of Radio Darmstadt, a local charity called Werkhof Darmstadt has started to support other non-profit-making radio stations around the world.
People living in remote areas, such as rural parts of South America and Africa, often find it particularly difficult to find out what is going on in their community. Newspapers and television:
- rarely deal with local issues
- hardly ever use local languages
- are too expensive for most people.
High levels of illiteracy
make communication even more difficult.
Local radio provides an ideal solution. Werkhof Darmstadt is helping communities to set up their own stations that:
- give people an opportunity to share news, ideas, events and opinions
- broadcast programmes on education, health, training, employment, local culture and democracy
- raise awareness of environmental problems.
For example, in Montevideo, Uruguay, Werkhof Darmstadt has provided training and equipment to help local people set up a radio station that promotes issues such as workers' rights.
Click on the links below to find out about other examples.
Popular radio in Ecuador
Local African radio